Stony Creek Horsemen's Association
Who We Are
The Stony Creek Horsemen's Association was formed primarily to host the Stonyford Rodeo and parade. Earlier rodeos--called "Gay Nineties" celebrations--had been successfully staged at local-area ranches, starting in 1939. Because of this success, the town decided to hold a rodeo annually and to form this organization to manage it.
In 1945, the rodeo was brought under the auspices of the California Cowboy Association and the event assumed a professional tone.
In 1948, the event was moved to its present location in Stonyford.
In October 1950, a fire destroyed practically all of the town's buildings and businesses, including the rodeo grounds.
In July 1960, a rodeo-grounds fire destroyed all but a few corrals.
In 1961, a new arena, refreshment stand, and two grandstands were built.
In 1962, the first Barrel Race event was held.
In 1963, a second grandstand was built.
In 1964, fire hydrants and pipelines were added and drinking water was provided to spectators.
In 1965, a third grandstand was completed.
In 1970, Stonyford patriarch, Lawrence "Sharky" Moore, who had served as the Horsemen's president for eighteen years, was honored during the Saturday event--which drew a record crowd.
In 1976, the Horsemen's Association joined the Professional Rodeo Cowboy Association (PRCA).
In 1978, a rodeo announcer's stand was built from logs.
In 1979, a new event was held for children: Mutton Bustin'. This event proved so successful, that it has continued every year since.
In 1980, two log cabin structures were completed: a bar and an office. The bar was dedicated to the late "Max" Griffin and the office to long-time Horsemen's secretary, Beulah Vanlandingham. Beulah, along with "Sharky" Moore and long-time resident Joyce Bond, authored a local history, Back in Time, that provides an eclectic look at the history of Stonyford and surrounding areas. (Joyce Bond (compiler) and Angie Hudson (computer-typesetter), Lawrence "Sharky" Moore, Beulah Vanlandingham; Back in Time, Stonyford Community History; May 1993, np.)
In 1983, the Kool Aid Corral was built for the Stonyford 4-H Club.
In 1984, the tree-filled area behind the animal chutes was developed as a campgrounds for our out-of-town rodeo guests. It has proven to be the most popular of the three available camping areas.
In 1985, the Rodeo Parade was revived by Webster "Web" Rodes and wife, Mary. The parade, a staple since 1943, had been discontinued in 1958.
In 1985-1986, a new rodeo arena, grandstands, press box, and pond were built.
1988 was a red-letter year: Rodeo and Mother's Day were celebrated on the same day and California Congressman Wally Herger presented the Horsemen's Association with an American flag that once flew over the State Capitol. Bertha Foutch, Native Daughters of the Golden West, presented the California State Flag.
In 1989, the Horsemen's Association made its own flag to fly over the arena, along with the U.S. and State flags. The new baseball field, adjacent to the arena, was dedicated to Lawrence "Sharky" Moore and named "Sharky's Field." Sharky was a avid ball player in his prime. Today, this field hosts our little league team, "The Yankees."
In 1990, the cook shack was remodeled.
In 1991, a new concrete-block office building was completed.
In 1992, the area was named the "Brother Moore Arena" for the Stonyford Rodeo's long-time benefactor, Lawrence J. Moore, son of Sharky.
In 1993, the rodeo celebrated its 50th anniversary and metal chutes were installed to replace the old wooden models.